NEW! My arrangement of Robert Schumann's "Three Romances," Opus 94, now available for Oboe and Chamber Orchestra.
J. W. Pepper & Son Sheet Music, Inc.:
Two "Lady Gaga Medley" Arrangements:
Clarinet Choir (Eb Clarinet, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Bb Clarinets, Eb Alto Clarinet (alt. 4th Bb Clarinet), Bb Bass Clarinet, Eb Contra-Alto Clarinet, optional Bb Contrabass Clarinet)
These arrangements include "Bad Romance," "Just Dance," "Poker Face," and "Telephone." They provide a fun, audience-engaging encore to a recital or concert. Click here to buy the sheet music.
"Irish Tune from County Derry" (Danny Boy), by Percy Aldridge Grainger
for Bb Clarinet and String Quartet (2 Violins, Viola, Violoncello).
This 7-minute arrangement of Tchaikovsky's a cappella choral work highlights every section of the band. Starting extremely slowly and quietly, it builds to a rousing jubilant alleluia. It is a beautiful piece of music that is also a great exercise in dynamic and balance control.
Rimsky-Korsakov wrote this 4-minute rousing march, based on a well-known worker's song, when he was ousted from his position at the St. Petersburg Conservatory for supporting his student's rights. This arrangement for band preserves the excitement and flourish of his original composition for orchestra. IT shows off the entire color palette of the band, from the "loud" of percussion and brass to nice soft passages with solos for flute, clarinet, oboe, euphonium, alto and tenor sax.
Erik Satie's "Gymnopedies," for Concert Band
Gioacchino Rossini's Overture to "Italian in Algiers" for Double Reed Choir.
Jean Françaix, L'Horloge de Flore, for Oboe Solo and Small Wind Ensemble (2 Flutes, 3 Bb Clarinets, Bb Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, 2 Eb Alto Saxophones [1st doubling Soprano], Bb Tenor Saxophone, Eb Baritone Saxophone, Horn in F, Marimba, String Bass)
See the scores and listen to them at the links above.TrevCo Music Publishing:
Two-volume "Wedding & Events Collection" for Double Reed Quartet (2 oboes, English horn, bassoon). Links to Volume 1 and Volume 2 take you directly to the TrevCo-Varner Music site.
J. S. Bach, Air from “Suite No. 3 in D Major”, BWV 1068
J. S. Bach, Bist du bei mir, BWV 508
Ludwig v. Beethoven, Ode to Joy from “Symphony No. 9 in D Minor”, Op. 125
Jeremiah Clarke, Trumpet Tune
Jeremiah Clarke, Trumpet Voluntary in D Major
Léo Delibes, Flower Duet from “Lakmé, Act 1, No. 2”
Felix Mendelssohn, Wedding March from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, Op. 61, No. 4
Jean-Joseph Mouret, Rondeau from “Sinfonies de Fanfares”
W. A. Mozart, Romanze from “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik”, K. 525
(You can listen to these 9 tracks here.)
Johann Pachelbel, Canon
Henry Purcell, Rondeau from "Incidental Music to Abdelazer"
Gioacchino Rossini, Overture (excerpt) from "William Tell"
Antonio Vivaldi, Allegro from "Concerto in F Major", Op. 8, No. 3 Autumn
Antonio Vivaldi, Allegro from "Concerto in E Major", Op. 8, No. 1 Spring
Antonio Vivaldi, Danza Pastorale from "Concerto in E Major", Op. 8, No. 1 Spring
Richard Wagner, Bridal Chorus from "Lohengrin", Act 3, Scene 1
(You can listen to these 7 tracks here.)
- J. S. Bach, Sinfonia, No. 10 from Christmas Oratorio, BWV 248, for Double Reed Concertino (2 Oboes d'Amore [or Oboes] and 2 English Horns) and Massed Double Reed Choir (4 Oboes, 2 English Horns, 3 Bassoons, Contrabassoon)
J. S. Bach, Prelude and Fugue I & II, from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 846/847, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon)
J. S. Bach, Fugue IV, from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 849, for Double Reed Choir (2 oboes, 2 Oboes d'Amore, English Horn, 2 Bassoons, Contrabassoon) (minimum required: 2 Oboes, English Horn, 2 Bassoons)
J. S. Bach, Prelude and Fugue VII, from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 852, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon)
A. M. R. Barret, 40 Progressive Melodies, from the Complete Method for the Oboe, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon) (Bass Oboe part in lieu of Bassoon is also available) (in 5 Volumes) (* Listen to samples in the player below.)
- Gabriel Fauré, Pavane, Op. 50, for 3 oboes, 2 English horns, 2 bassoons, and contrabassoon
- W. Ferling, Trois Duos Concertants, for two oboes or saxophones, with both parts on the same page
George Gershwin, Three Preludes for Piano, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon)
- Georg Frideric Handel, Alla Hornpipe from "The Water Music", Suite No. 2 in D, HWV 349, for 7 oboes, 3 English horns, 2 bassoons, and contrabassoon
- Scott Joplin, The Entertainer, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon), plus optional Bass Oboe
- Henry Mancini, "Baby Elephant Walk", for Double Reed Sextet (2 Oboes, English Horn, 2 Bassoons, Contrabassoon
- Henry Mancini, "Charade" , for Double Reed Sextet (2 Oboes, English Horn, 2 Bassoons, Contrabassoon
- Henry Mancini, "Moon River" , for Double Reed Sextet (2 Oboes, English Horn, 2 Bassoons, Contrabassoon
Henry Mancini, Charade, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon)
Henry Mancini, Moon River, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon)
Felix Mendelssohn, Quartet in Eb, Op. 12, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon)
William Grant Still Music 809 W. Riordan Road, Suite 100, Box 109 Flagstaff, AZ 86001-0810 (928) 526-9355 http://www.williamgrantstillmusic.com
William Grant Still, Lyric Quartette, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon) Listen to audio in the player below, and watch a performance on YouTube here.
II. The Quiet One III. The Jovial One
- Double Reed Quartet #1 for 2 Oboes, English Horn, and Bassoon
This original composition is a fantastic addition to the legitimate repertoire for double reed quartet. Written in an accessible contemporary style, the four movement work is creative, fun, melodic, and challenging. Listen to it here:
Double Reed Quartet #2, "Ancient Dances"
Imagine a European tour in the Middle Ages. This six-movement suite for double reeds explores various ancient dance forms in a fresh rhythmic and harmonic setting. Instrumentation: 2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon, optional Percussion: Tambourine, Cajón, Snare Drum, Bodhrán
Listen to it here.
- "The Yellow Ribbon" March was written in honor of America's Prisoners of War (POWs) and those Missing in Action (MIAs). A trombone solo at the beginning of the Trio section represents POW/MIAs alone in a strange land, standing for the principles of the United States and the Code of Honor of members of the Armed Forces. Friends join the soloist, and then the entire band, demonstrating our unfailing support for America's POW/MIAs.
- At the Audition, for Double Reed Quartet (2 Oboes, English Horn, Bassoon)
- Bassoon Concerto, for Bassoon and Chamber Orchestra or Symphonic Wind Ensemble (published by TrevCo Music; piano reduction also available)
Watch the world premiere on Youtube here:
Or listen to the audio here:
- Missa Jubilate Deo (Jubilation Mass), for SATB Chorus and Chamber Orchestra (Flute, Oboe, Bb Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn in F, Bb Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Cymbals, Triangle, and Strings). In English, consisting of seven movements: Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus Dei, and Jubilate Deo. (Published by JW Pepper/MyScore: https://www.jwpepper.com/Missa-Jubilate-Deo/10929295.item#/submit) Listen to it here:
- Simple Songs - Suite for Band, for symphonic wind ensemble, in six movements: I've Got This, Boat Dream, At the Playground, Jardin du Luxembourg, Meditation, and Finale: Thames Cruise. Total length is just under 22 minutes. (Published by J. W. Pepper/MyScore: (https://www.jwpepper.com/Simple-Songs/10929291.item#/submit) The following sound files were generated using Sibelius with NotePerformer 2.0.2
- Lake Barcroft Haiku, for Concert Band.
Available now at https://www.jwpepper.com/Lake-Barcroft-Haiku/10929293.item#/submit
This five-part suite for concert band is based on five Haiku about aspects of life around the Lake Barcroft, Virginia community. Each movement starts with a narrator reading the Haiku for that movement.
1. "Welcome to the Lake!" is an off-kilter march-like romp that illustrates the experience of finding, choosing, and renovating a 1950s house across from the lake.
2. "Spring Springs" suggests explosions of blooms, ending in a more ordered fugue as lake gardeners bring order out of chaos.
3. "Early Morning Swim" is about calm, then undulating water, the rhythm of swimming, a bright sunrise, and a heron glaring from shore.
4. "Summer at Beach Two" evokes children playing and swinging, while a party barge cruises by with a radio playing.
5. "Fall Falls" evokes falling and then floating and sinking leaves, and ends with the full band in a blaze of color.
Here's a recording:
Romance, a concerto for two English horns and chamber orchestra, is available at J.W. Pepper. Program notes: "This concerto for two English horns and chamber orchestra is in seven short movements, played without pauses between them. It depicts a life-long romantic relationship, from courtship to fond memories. All relationships evolve, and this piece includes elements of flirtation, cooperation, passion, fun, boisterousness, drama, sadness, community, and quiet reflection, by use of a wide palette of orchestral colors, rhythms, and textures. The beginning depicts courtship, and the end is an elegy. The audience can participate in the creative process by imagining the nature and events evoked by the parts between those two."
Listen to it here: